Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sponge-bob vs. Dogs

In case you haven't heard yet, Lily loves Sponge-bob. She also loves dogs. Which is why I was planning a very cute & inexpensive dog themed birthday party for her. When I asked Lily if she wanted to have a dog birthday party, I expected for her to tell me yes. She didn't, she told me "Bum-bob" [Sponge-bob]. I should have seen it coming by the way she talks about him day & night and by the way she looks so lovingly at him as we pass by his merchandise at Target. So here's my dilemma: Do I go ahead with the cute (and inexpensive) dog themed party I was planning? or do I let Lily have her way and splurge on Sponge-bob plates, cups, & a cake? I try to let my girls choose things for themselves. Sometimes it's hard when I see a cute skirt that I'd love to buy for Ella, but instead she chooses the ugliest piece of clothing available. I really have a hard time spending my money on something I don't necessarily like. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Lily had chosen Strawberry Shortcake or Minnie Mouse... but Sponge-bob? Have you heard him laugh? I know, I'm pretty silly for calling this a dilemma, but we are on a tight budget so spending so much extra money on something I don't like has become a trivial but difficult decision for me. What would you do? Spend extra money on something you don't like to make Lily happy? or have an inexpensive dog party, and hope she likes it just as much?

9 comments:

Alexis said...

She is still so young I would go for the dog party! She will end up having a great time and love it!

Jess said...

My response should come as no surprise, I am sure! :) I of course have to encourage to purchase as much SpongeBob party goods and toys as possible in an effort to boost my annual bonus. But, in an effort to help leverage the overall costs for you, I would be happy to also send a small care package to help get the party-goers excited! :)

[This posting wasn't a plot to get me to donate, was it? ;)]

Emily Call said...

I would do the dog party. She won't even notice that it isn't sponge bob.

Lori said...

i have to admit that i too LOVE spongebob! but i agree that the cheap dog party will be loved by Lily just as much.

Jami said...

She's turning 2 I really don't think she will care... maybe just do a cute generic theme or even the dog theme and then wrap her present in spounge bob paper..

Trisha said...

She won't eve see SpongeBob on the plates if there is food on them. Dog party for sure and maybe find one SpongeBob decoration, like a balloon. Or have Ella draw up some SpongeBob decorations.

kstrack said...

Go with the dog party and just have a sponge bob cake, I mean you are SO talented I bet you could make a square yellow cake in your sleep! :)

Laura said...

I agree with everyone else...she's too little to hold a grudge over not getting her Bum Bob party. Do the dog party or if you feel like giving her what she's aske for do Sponge Bob, but just get paper products that are all yellow (cheaper then with the characters on them) and make the cake. PS how can you not like Sponge Bob?!?!!

Princess Academy said...

Do whats best for your fam --Saving money = dog party It will be fun, she will love it adn you will still be mom of the year!