Monday, April 27, 2009

Pom Pom Parenting


Tyler and I are taking a class for parents of children with Aspergers & High functioning Austism, despite the fact that Ella's doctor thinks we are just over-reactive parents, and that she's just a typical kid who happens to be very naughty. In the class last week they mentioned that many Aspergers kids actually enjoy Time-out. I'm sure I've mentioned before that Ella definitely LOVES time out. She puts herself in it all the time, and refuses to come out for hours. The teachers informed us that when we put these kids in time-out, we are actually rewarding them for their naughty behavior. We have learned so many helpful tips in these classes, wether or not Ella has been mis-diagnosed. They have been giving us so many alternative behavior modification tips, that actually work probably 75% of the time, as opposed to 10% of the time.

Ella's cousin Katie was over last week with some pom-poms that she got as a reward for not sucking her fingers. Ella was very envious of Katie's pom poms, so we decided to combine pom-poms with one of the behavior modification methods we are learning in our class... and viola... Pom Pom Parenting. It is working so well! Ella informed me tonight that she is going to earn so many Pom Pom's that we may have to buy a second house just to store them all.
Hooray for lots of Pom Poms!
Now if we could just figure out how to help her eat... maybe next week.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I am glad you parenting class is helping! I love the pom pom idea:)
Looks like you have been busy and having lots of fun with your girls.

Dan said...

How interesting. I'd like to know what behavior modification you used?

Lori said...

I am so happy for you guys that some of those methods are working. You guys are amazing.

Jami said...

that is awesome... I can't believe how well it is working for us. i actually took your idea of doing the happy/sad chart and we use that when we go out and then we count up how many pom poms she gets when we get home. She hasn't sucked her fingers at all today!!! Its a parenting miracle, we were ready to take her to counseling. She has almost filled her entire pom pom container and will be getting her barbie very soon! then I'm not sure what we will do?? hopefully it will keep working.

Emily Call said...

ha ha... I thought you were talking about cheer leading pom-poms. Anyway, sounds like I need to take these classes too even though my girls haven't been diagnosed. I think any child could benefit from some of these things.

Princess Academy said...

Oh Yeah! I am glad you've found things to work Pom poms --hmm I may need to add some pom pom parenting I love positive reinforcement

Jess said...

I think it's great that the classes are offering some good insight. Even if your doctor says that Ella couldn't possibly have Asperger's, it won't matter. Simply using these techniques will make your life more sane! Good luck!

kstrack said...

I am so happy for you guys that the parenting class is helping! I think Isaac and I could use some of those! :) Maybe we can glean some wisdom off you & Tyler!

Linda :) said...

Yea Holly sound like you are getting some good ideas to help you with Ella : ) I Love your new blog design, it always looks so cute!

Heather said...

That's wonderful that things are working for you guys. I'm so glad you followed your gut with this!

P.S. What are pom-poms? Do you mean the things cheerleaders use? That's so cute to me how so many things can be motivators. :-)